Provide insight, expertise and knowledge to remain ICD-10 Strong!
I loved the interactive coding practice with the electronic coder and books…very informative and knowledgeable.
~ Attendee, LeadingAge Affiliates ICD-10 Training, Oklahoma
Now that ICD-10 has gone into effect, make sure your organization remains strong. Years ago we were not reimbursed based on medical coding so we didn’t feel the need to provide formalized training to our staff members. Today all the rules are changing and if we fail to code properly it will negatively affect our bottom line.
As with any new regulations or changes in our industry there are many touch points to consider. Now that ICD-10 is implemented, the first claims were sent on or about October 31, 2015, in for payment. If that claim is delayed or rejected we will need to investigate the cause. The questions we will need to ask ourselves are:
- Did we code the record correctly?
- Did we enter the codes correctly into our software?
- Did the software assign the codes according to how we chose them?
- Did the codes auto-populate correctly into the billing forms?
- Did the closing process occur without errors?
- Did the claim flow through the clearinghouse system without problems?
- Did the payer accept the claim?
- Was the claim paid?
- Was the claim paid at the correct reimbursement level?
All of the above questions should be considered when implementing an ongoing ICD-10 plan to avoid claim errors, delays, and rejections.
If your staff members are properly trained in ICD-10, you will have confidence that your coding is accurate. If there is a glitch and you are comfortable with coding, you can rule out coding errors and work toward solving software or hardware issues. It should take less time to find the problem with the claim and a solution so the accounts receivable does not get out of hand.
What is Your Organization’s ICD-10 IQ?
October 31, 2015 marked the beginning of a new set of challenges facing healthcare leaders including: new CMS initiatives, intense OIG enforcement activities, increased provider audits and enhanced review and utilization of provider data. One challenge that may pose implications impacting numerous aspects of your organization is the implementation to ICD-10. This transition affected an organization’s reimbursement, compliance, quality, revenue stream, billing, and data outcomes, it also impacted billing practices, and organizational data critical to success.
Test your ICD-10 IQ to remain ICD-10 Strong!
Assessing your organization’s ICD-10 IQ is a leader’s critical first step towards keeping on a roadmap for success. implementing ICD-10-CM needs to include communication and significant collaboration on information technology, finance, education, and problem solving. The work necessary to implement ICD-10-CM and the resources required truly depends on your organization’s and team’s knowledge.
1) Which code set is used in long term care, home health, and hospice? ICD-10-CM or ICD-10-PCS. Answer: (Answer, PCS is procedure coding and will not be used in long term care, home health, or hospice. ICD-10-CM is only used in post-acute care.)
2) What code set am I required to use as of October 1, 2015? Answer: ICD-10-CM
The Pathway Health ICD-10 Strong Solution
Pathway Health is ready to assist long term care providers across the nation with ongoing ICD-10 strategies that ensure minimal disruption to cash flow, limited claims denials and prevent decreased productivity of those responsible for coding and the ability to prevent major workflow disruptions.
Pathway Health’s ICD-10 training program provides the knowledge and skills necessary to accurately assign ICD-10 codes for clinical and billing practices. Our instructors are experts in the post-acute care industry and many are AHIMA ICD-10 approved trainers. Register today for a webinar or classroom training or contact us to discuss how we can customize ICD-10 training to meet your needs.
- Two-Day Classroom Training
- Customized Training at Your Location
- Schedule ICD-10 Coding Audits – Remote and Onsite Options
Now Available – ICD-10 Essentials for LTC
Pathway Health will give providers the keys to unlock the secret of ICD-10-CM coding. This two-day class will provide long term care providers the knowledge and skill needed to accurately assign ICD-10-CM codes for clinical and billing practices. Providers will be confident with their coding process from admission to discharge.
1. Comprehend definitions of ICD-10-CM terminology
2. Understand official ICD-10 coding guidelines
3. Distinguish the similarities & differences between ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM
4. Demonstrate the ability to assign correct ICD-10-CM codes
5. Utilize resource materials for accurate coding
6. Be familiar with all chapters of ICD-10-CM
7. Interpret preadmission documentation
8. Be able to list the codes for the admission record from the H&P and DC Summary
9. Be fluent in managing the status of each diagnosis code
10. Analyze and code Section I of the MDS
11. Sequence codes correctly for the billing process
12. Evaluate final bills utilizing claim check review process
13. Case Study Analysis to test knowledge of ICD-10-CM
Customized Onsite Training:
For your convenience our expert trainers will come to you. Contact us for details about how Pathway Health can customize ICD-10 training for your organization.