Balance: An Essential Trait for Leaders
Post-acute care leaders and their organizations face significant challenges including changing regulations, heightened scrutiny survey process, value-based purchasing, new payment models driving preferred partners and narrow networks for referrals coupled with total health care redesign.
Leadership, team and organizational balance are essential traits for success in the new health care environment, allowing for flexibility, collaboration with stakeholders, creative solutions to complex changes while continually changing and learning.
Organizational success is created by combining talented team members and effective team leaders. To find the team leaders that would best serve their team and in turn, the company as a whole, the key is balance. Ensuring balance between the two main qualities of leadership, time management and focus. An effective leader must also be both present as well as future focused. (source: predictivesuccess.com)
A more strategic approach toward data and quality balance is to strive to understand and anticipate health care trends and expectations, while proactively defining innovative strategies to meet the clinical, regulatory, partner and consumer demands, maintaining market position and achieve quality results.
Consider the following:
- Develop a data management plan – Data is being examined by regulators, potential and current partners and patients. Create a strategy to review data and data sets routinely, creating a leadership dashboard to keep an eye on the pulse of your organization.
- Increase knowledge – Gain a clear understanding of the changes and their defined impact on your organization and outcomes. Don’t be sidelined by the “curve balls”. Stay on top of industry, regulatory and market trends. Use your team to assist with this process and create a knowledge pool within your organization.
- Create the vision – Based upon the knowledge of industry and market position changes, new payment models, clinical expectations, new regulations and more…work with your team across all levels to design what your organization will look like today.
- Build and sustain a culture of collaboration within your organization – Create new leaders and subject matter experts within.
- Determine organization clinical readiness – Based upon the current market and future trends, assess your organization’s clinical competency, capabilities, capacity and integration across provider types for safer care transitions and referral opportunities.
- Educate all levels of the organization – Express the importance of educating your team as to the changes, their respective roles, how they can get involved, as well as educating current and potential partners. The key to all of this is effective education and communication.
- Innovate, partner and collaborate – Having balance allows you to use your industry knowledge to design innovative strategies and services lines (creative solutions) to meet the new demands of health care today and beyond. Creating and guiding change is essential for operational success.
As a leader, your ability to support balance within your team is an essential trait for both strategic and innovative sustainability today and beyond.
Pathway Health consulting services provides your organization the expertise to enhance reimbursement, minimize risk and ensure quality clinical outcomes to reach your desired goals.
Visit pathwayhealth.com or