Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): What You Need to Know
There has been a lot of information and news coverage of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak. At this time, Pathway Health is preparing resources for long term care providers based upon the knowledge that is available through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). These sources provide trustworthy, transparent information as to what is and is not known about COVID-19.
The CDC has indicated that there has now been community transmission of COVID-19 in the United States, and it is anticipated there will be additional transmission in the near future. CDC recommends that all health care providers and health care professionals use this time to prepare, increase their knowledge and plan for potential community transmission.
Pathway Health is monitoring the situation and has prepared a set of resources including a complimentary resource: COVID-19 Policy and Procedure and Preparation checklist.
Leadership Preparation Strategies
Below are recommended strategies for leaders to use as a starting point for COVID-19 preparation.
Pathway Health will continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 situation and will provide additional updates as they become available.
- Review your Emergency Preparedness Plan and make revisions related to outbreak/pandemic requirements, if necessary
- Monitoring of CDC and WHO websites as information is evolving on a regular basis
- Strategies to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in Long Term Care Facilities
- See the resource links below.
- Review CDC Testing Guidelines for persons under investigation suspected of COVID-19
- Review all Infection Prevention and Control Policies and Procedures to ensure they are up-to-date, including:
- Re-educate all staff on the facility’s Infection Prevention and Control Policies and Procedures
- Review and implement the Pathway Health’s COVID-19 Resource
- Identify local/state Public Health contacts and have contact numbers prepared
- Provide education for residents and their representatives regarding:
- Post signs at the entrance of the facility regarding:
- Make available at the entrance of the facility:
- Alcohol-based Hand Rub (ABHR)
- Waste receptacles
- Identify outbreak management supply needs:
- Alcohol-based Hand Rub (ABHR)
- Soap and Towels
- Medications and treatments
- Medical supplies to prepare for potential business disruption as indicated in your facility’s Emergency Preparedness Plan
- Other supplies such as chemicals for cleaning, disinfection, laundry, etc.
Contact us for assistance with COVID-19 planning and other infection control assistance.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Pandemic Preparedness Resources: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/pandemic-preparedness-resources.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Strategies to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 in LTCF. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/healthcare-facilities/prevent-spread-in-long-term-care-facilities.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators. February 16, 2020: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-supply-strategies.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Caring for Patients with Confirmed or Possible COVID-19. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/caring-for-patients-H.pdf
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. COVID-19 Control and Prevention. https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/covid-19/controlprevention.html
Susan LaGrange, RN, BSN, NHA, CDONA, FACDONA, CIMT, IP-BC – Director of Education